The Teatro Carlo Felice is the principal opera house of Genoa
, used for performances of opera, ballet, orchestral music, and recitals. It is located on the Piazza De Ferrari
The hall is named for Duke Carlo Felice, and dates from December 24, 1824, when the Most Excellent Department of Theatres was established. On January 31, 1825, local architect Carlo Barabino submitted his design for the opera house which was to be built on the site of the church of San Domenico. The Dominican monks were moved elsewhere without delay or ceremony, and the first stone of the new building was laid on 19 March 1826.