The Pontifical Shrine of the Blessed Virgin of the Rosary of Pompei
is a Roman Catholic cathedral, Marian pontifical shrine and minor basilica commissioned by Bartolo Longo, located in Pompeii
. It is the see of the Territorial Prelature of Pompei.
Bartolo Longo started restoring a church in disrepair in October 1873 and promoted a festival in honor of Our Lady of the Rosary. In 1875, Longo obtained a painting of Our Lady of the Rosary from a convent in Naples
and raised funds to restore the image so as to locate it in the church.
Pope Benedict XVI presented his sixth Golden Rose to the shrine on the 19 October 2008.
Our Lady of the Rosary
The painting of "Our Lady of the Rosary" with its bronze gilt frame is presented to the pilgrims on the high altar. The venerated painting depicts the Virgin Mary and Child Jesus presenting rosaries to Saint Dominic and Saint Catherine of Siena
. Originally bought by Dominican priest Alberto Radente for eight carlini in Naples, it was offered to Bartolo Longo on the 13 November 1875 for the church he was building in Pompeii.