Touristlink.com is the social platform for travel where you can meet fellow travelers,share information, suggest new attractions and create lists of your favorite destinations to share with friends.
Tuscany, Province of Pistoia, Italy
Monsummano Terme is an comune located in the Province of Pistoia, Tuscany, central Italy. It is located in the Valdinievole, and is a popular spa resort. It is comoposed by two separate nuclei: Monsummano Alta, of Etruscan origins and with a castle and a line of walls, overlook the lower Monsummano Bassa, built starting from 1602 around a sanctuary commissioned by Ferdinand I, Grand Duke of Tuscany.
Monsummano, as well as being the center of one of the most important Italian footwear districts in the past (from the 1920’s and even parts of the 19th century), is a spa town with two natural caves: Grotta Giusti and Grotta Parlanti, the latter recently undergoing renovation following the closure.
Other sights include:
- The medieval castle and fortifications. The elliptical shape have led to suppose a Lombard origin, but the castle is mentioned for the first time in the 11th century. It was occupied by the Florentines in 1314, but was recaptured one year later by Castruccio Castracani after the battle of Montecatini. Florence recaptured it in 1331. Of the castle today several gates and long stretches of the walls, partly covered by vegetation, as well as a single tower, remain.
- Church of San Nicolao (12th century), included in the castle. It houses a 14th-15ht century wooden crucifix.
- Sanctuary of Santa Maria della Fontenuova (17th century)
- Church of San Michele e Lorenzo. It has a lunette painted by Giusto Utens and a Madonna with Child and Saints attributed by some to Piero di Cosimo.
- Villa medicea di Montevettolini
- Grotta Giusti
- The church of Santa Maria Assunta is Filettole in the town of Prato; Filettole is a small town on…
- Villa Garzoni at Collodi is a villa just over the border of the province of Lucca, (Tuscany,…
- Pistoia Cathedral (Italian: Duomo di Pistoia or Cattedrale di San Zeno) is the main religious…