Comiso (Sicilian: Còmmisu) is an Italian municipality in the Province of Ragusa in Sicily. Comiso consists of three boroughs: Comiso, Pedalino, and Quaglio. It lies some 22 km west of Ragusa in the South of Sicily. The main productive sectors are agriculture and trades, including smithery, cabinet making and marble work. Comiso has in the past been incorrectly identified with the ancient Greek colony of Casmene.
Hot Springs, first constructed during the Roman era, with remnants of mosaics dating from the 2nd century CE.
Mother Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie, from the 15th century, greatly damaged by the earthquake of 1693. It has a nave and two aisles, with rich internal decorations dating from the 17th century. The high altar has a painting representing the Nativity of the Virgin, attributed to Carlo Maratta.
Church of San Filippo Neri (16th century), with the annexed Oratory.
Church of San Francesco dell’Immacolata, built in the 13th century, with a quadrangular cloister was added in the 15th century. The church houses the burial chapel of the Naselli barons, with a funerary monument of Baldassarre II Nasellil attributed to Antonello Gagini.
The Neoclassicist Church of the Annunziata (16th century), rebuilt from 1772 to 1773 when a baroque façade was added. The interior has precious artworks dating from the 15th century onwards, as well as a marble font by Mario Rutelli (1912).
Castello Naselli, originally an octagonal Byzantine fortress renovated in the 14th century.
Peace Pagoda : on 24 May 1998, the Reverend Gyosho Morishita of the Nipponzan-Myōhōji Buddhist Order dedicated a stupa at Comiso, near the NATO base.