Ca' d'Oro (correctly Palazzo Santa Sofia) is a Palace
on the Grand Canal
, northern Italy
. One of the older palazzi, it has always been known as Ca' d'Oro (golden house) due to the gilt and polychrome external decorations which once adorned its walls.
The Palazzo was built between 1428 and 1430 for the Contarini family, who provided Venice with eight Doges between 1043 and 1676. Upon election, each new Doge
would leave his own palazzo and take residence in the Doge's Palace
The architects of the Ca d'Oro were Giovanni
Bon and his son Bartolomeo Bon. The work of these two sculptors and architects epitomises the Gothic Style
in Venice: they are best known for their work on the Doge's Palace and in particular the Porta della Carta with its monumental sculpture of the judgement of Solomon.
In 1922 the palazzo was bequeathed to the State by its last owner and saviour Baron Giorgio Franchetti who had acquired it in 1894. Following extensive restoration, including the reconstruction of the stairway, it is now open to the public as a gallery.