The Victory Monument is a monument in Bolzano, northern Italy
, erected on the personal orders of Mussolini. The 19 metre wide Victory Gate was designed by architect Marcello Piacentini. Its construction was dedicated to the "Martyrs of World
The following Latin script can be seen on the facade:
HIC PATRIAE FINES SISTE SIGNA / HINC CETEROS EXCOLVIMVS LINGVA LEGIBVS ARTIBVS
Here at the border of the fatherland set down the banner. From this point on we educated the others with language, law and culture.
The monument was inaugurated on 12 July 1928 by King Victor Emmanuel III.
The inscription, referring to Roman imperial history, was seen as provocative by many German-speaking people living in the province of South Tyrol. On the day of the inauguration there was a counter-demonstration with 10,000 people in Innsbruck.
Today, the monument still is a focal point of the tensions between the Italian and German speaking communities in Bolzano, and it is fenced off to protect it from defacement.