Touristlink.com is the social platform for travel where you can meet fellow travelers,share information, suggest new attractions and create lists of your favorite destinations to share with friends.
Sicily, Province of Catania, Italy
Adrano is a town and comune in the province of Catania on the east coast of Sicily. It is situated around 41 km northwest of Catania, which is also the capital of the province to which Adrano belongs. It lies near the foot of Mount Etna, at the confluence of the Simeto and Salso rivers. It is the commercial center for a region where olives and citrus fruit are grown.
- Castle of Norman origin (Castello Normanno) in the centre of the town, built in 1070 on behalf of Roger I. Inside the castle is the archaeological museum with antique findings of the region.
- Chiesa Madre (Mother Church), originally a Norman work.
- Convento di Santa Lucia (Monastery of St Lucy) in via Roma, constructed in 1596 to the order of the prince of Biscari and redesigned by the well-known Catanese architect Stefano Ittar. It contains a chapel dating from 1775. Until the early 1920s, the monastery was still inhabited by monks, but meanwhile it is communal property and partly used by a secondary school.
- The public park (Villa Comunale) opposite the monastery, with palm trees decades old
- The public Teatro Bellini, which was re-opened in 2004 after over 26 years. It was built on behalf of the vice king in 1779 and resembles the theatre of Parma dating from 1618. It is situated on the ruins of the antique church of St Vito.
- The medieval Ponte dei Saraceni (Bridge of the Saracens) about 3 km outside the town
- The ruins of the original Greek settlement visitable in the east of the town.
Due to the prospering Catholic tradition of the region, Adrano has numerous antique chapels and small churches hidden in the backstreets. Moreover, Adrano is famous for its colourful carnival and the passionate celebration of San Nicola, in honour of its patron Saint Nicola Politi on August 3.
- Biancavilla is a town and comune in the Province of Catania, Sicily, southern Italy. It is located…
- Centuripe is a town and comune in the Province of Enna (Sicily, southern Italy). The city is…
- Paterno is a town and comune in the Province of Catania, Sicily, southern Italy. The site of…