Cathedral is a Roman Catholic cathedral in the town of Acerra in Campania
, southern Italy
Since the 11th century it has been the seat of the Bishop of Acerra.
The cathedral stands on the site of an Ancient Roman temple of Hercules. It has been rebuilt many times and the present building is of the 19th century. It has a Latin cross ground plan, with a nave and two side aisles separated by piers, and a cupola. The west front is Neo-classical, with eight large Ionic columns standing on a chessboard paving of alternating basalt and marble slabs.
The cathedral contains a number of works of art, of which the principal are:
- Altarpiece of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, by Giacinto Diana (1796)
- Painting of the Madonna with Rosary, by Giovan Bernardo Azzolino (17th century)
- Painting of San Girolamo, by Fabrizio Santafede (17th century)
- Carving in high relief, by the school of Giovanni da Nola