Merrion Square is a Georgian square on the southside of Dublin
city centre. It was laid out after 1762 and was largely complete by the beginning of the 19th century. It is considered one of the city's finest surviving squares. Three sides are lined with Georgian redbrick townhouses; the West side abuts the grounds of Leinster House
(seat of the Oireachtas), Government Buildings
, the Natural History Museum
and the National Gallery. The central railed-off garden is now a public park.
The Wellington Testimonial to commemorate the victories of Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington, was originally planned to be located in Merrion Square. However it was built in the Phoenix Park
after opposition from the square's residents. The recognised World
class Irish American sculptor Jerome Connor, best known for his work Nuns of the Battlefield in Washington DC, designed the public art piece, "Eire" which is in the square.