This is among the finest examples of the developed Khajuraho temple style. It once had four subsidiary shrines at the four corners of the high platform on which it stands and so is called a panchayatana temple, though now only two of these subsidiary shrines stand. Particularly noteworthy are two sura-sundaris: one plucking a thorn from the sole of her foot with an extremely graceful depiction of feminine curves, and another celestial maiden playing a flute.
The architectural style of this temple indicates that it was built just before the Kandariya. From an inscription found in this temple it is clear that this was originally dedicated to Siva Marakatesvara built by the Chandella ruler Dhanga in 1002. Of the two lingas that had been installed here, at that time, only the stone one remains. The far more valuable one has disappeared. It was made of emerald. Facing the shrine of this temple, and in its own pavilion, is a massive Nandi: the bull vahan, or vehicle, of Lord Siva.