Thirumalai Nayak Mahal is about 1.5 kms from the Meenakshi Temple. It was built in 1636 by the ruler King Thirumalai Nayak. The imposing edifice is famous for the stuccowork on its domes and impressive arches. The Sorga Vilasam or the Celestial Pavilion, measuring 75mx52m, is constructed entirely of brick and mortar without the support of a single rafter or girder. It is a marvel of Indo Saracenic architectural style. Among the other striking features of The Palace are the massive white pillars, several of which line the corridor that runs along the courtyard. Connected by well-decorated arches, these pillars measure 20 mtrs in height and have a circumference of 4m.
The other sections such as Entrance Gate, the Main Hall, the Dance Hall and polished black stone pillars of varying heights are also worth seeing. There's a daily sound - and - Light show in English at 6.45 pm and in Tamil at 8.15 pm. This half an hour show extols the virtues of king Thirumalai, particularly his passion for the arts, his victories in battle and his love for his subjects.
Palace is open for visitors from 9.00 am and 1.00 pm and 2.00 pm and 5.00 pm