Tezpur University is an Indian Central University located in Tezpur in the state of Assam, India. Currently, the Governor of Assam, Janaki Ballabh Patnaik is the Chancellor of Tezpur University, Mihir Kanti Chaudhuri is the Vice-Chancellor and Amarjyoti Choudhury is the Pro Vice-Chancellor.
The objectives of Central University are:
- It shall strive to offer employment oriented and inter-disciplinary courses, mostly, at postgraduate level to meet local, regional aspirations and development needs of the State of Assam.
- It shall offer courses and promote research in areas which are of special relevance to the region and in emerging areas in science and technology.
- Shall promote national integration and study of rich cultural heritage of the region and, in particular, the diverse ethnic, linguistic and tribal cultures of the State.
- It shall utilize "distance education techniques" to provide access to higher education for large segments of the population, the disadvantaged groups living in remote and rural areas.
- It shall upgrade the professional knowledge and skills of in service personnel for lifelong learning.
The University campus is at Napaam about 15 km. east of Tezpur, the headquarters of the Sonitpur district of Assam. Napaam is a rural area surrounded people of diverse caste, religion and language. The Napaam campus of the University is in a plot of an area of 242 acres (0.98 sq km) of land. The campus is bounded by pucca walls. Napaam is linked by a PWD road from the National Highway No. 37A at almost midpoint between Kalia-Bhomora bridge and Misson Chariali. Tezpur is linked by road and rail with the rest of the state and the country. There is also a tri-weekly flight service between Kolkata and Tezpur. The institute is surrounded by greenery and with many historic as well as tourist places nearby, including Ganesh Ghat, Agnigarh
Major Annual Events:
- Techxetra: The university's national-level annual technical festival held over three days in October.
- Vistas: National media fest organised by the department of Mass Communication and Journalism in the spring semester.
- Sampark: An industry interaction festival organised by the department of Business Administration
Tezpur University is the first university in India to offer the course Master of Technology in Computational Seismology and also one of the few universities in India to have its own Department of Energy. The Department of Electronics at Tezpur University is the first of its kind in India to introduce an interdisciplinary Master of Technology program in Bioelectronics. The first class graduated in June 2006. The university offers various undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral programs in following academic divisions:
Special Centres And Cells:
- School of Science & Technology: Department of Chemical Sciences, Department of Mathematical Sciences, Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Department of Physics, Department of Urban & Regional Planning, Department of Water Resources Engineering, Department of Environmental Science.
- School of Humanities & Social Sciences: Department of English and Foreign Languages, Department of Cultural Studies, Department of Development Studies, Department of Mass Communication and Journalism, Department of Sociology, Department of Hindi, Centre for Assamese Studies.
- School of Management Sciences: Department of Business Administration, Centre for Disaster Management.
- School of Engineering: Department of Computer Science & Engineering, Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Department of Food Engineering and Technology, Department of Civil Engineering, Department of Energy.
- Computer Centre
- Centre for Women's Studies
- Centre for Disaster Management
- Intellectual Property Rights Cell
- Nodal Centre, Department of Biotechnology, Government of India
- Bio-Informatics Infrastructure Facility
The Bioinformatics Infrastructure Facility (BIF) at the Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology (MBBT) was established in 2007 under the Biotechnology Information System Network (BTISnet) scheme of the Department of Biotechnology, Govt. of India to promote innovation in Biology Teaching through Bioinformatics. The goal of this facility is to expose students and researchers to the use of bioinformatics in solving hard core biological problems.
Training And Placement Cell:
Placement Services for the students of the university in a collective and organized way have started recently but have earned limited success. In case of certain departments, Placement Services have always existed resulting in over cent percent employments.