Sohanpar of Gaharwar clan of Banaras migrated to Garhkundar and made it his capital by evicting Khangore in the 13th century. Later they were known as Bundelas. He built the fort and his descendents expanded it. Sai-iajendra. Nanakdev, Priti-ivirajram singh, Ramchandra, Medinipal and Rudrapratap were the different rulers of Garhkundar. The last Ruler Rudrapratap shifted his capital to Orchha in 1531.
There are two entrances to the fort. The first entrance is a two storey building with a bastion, and the second which also is the main entrance is at a height from the first one. The fort is square and three storied. There is a courtyard with chambers around, there are chambers beneath the fort as well, but it is next to impossible to get there. At present, the scientific arrangement for air and sunshine has been made inside the fort. There are bastions in four corners. A temple of local goddess Maha Mayagridh Vasini stands here. There is also a water tank called 'Singh Sagar' present in the fort.