Bhimgarh Fort, generally known as the Reasi
Fort, near Reasi, a town approximately 64 km north-west of Jammu
.The Fort is located on a hillock approx 150 metres high. Initially the Fort was constructed of clay and later on one of the heirs of Maharaj Rishipal Rana, the founder of Reasi, reconstructed it using stone. It was used by the royal family members for taking shelter during emergencies.
The renovation of the Fort was started by Gulab Singh of Jammu and Kashmir
in 1817 and continued till 1841. A new entry gate and a stone wall one metres wide and 50 metres long was built all around, thereby making it less vulnerable to attacks.The main entry gate is made of Baluka stones with Rajasthani carving. The front wall with loopholes is approximately 50 metres long and one metre wide. This has a statue of the Goddess Mahakali and of God Hanuman.
The Fort has a temple, a pond, a number of rooms of different sizes, armoury and treasury. After the death of Maharaja Gulab Singh, his heir Maharaja Ranbir Singh and Maharaja Pratap Singh used Bhimgarh Fort as a treasury and armoury. It was during Maharaja Hari Singh's rule that an English Minister ordered that the armoury be destroyed and shifted the treasury to Jammu.
The Fort was handed over to the Jammu and Kashmir State Archaeology Department in 1989 on the orders of state government. In 1990, the fort was renovated by the Vaishno Devi
Sthapna Board. The surrounding areas of the fort were given a facelift with the construction of gardens and pathways. The fort was then opened to the public. Though, the fort is devastated by the earthquakes and lack of maintenance, it still stands out as an important landmark in the town.