The museum was established in the year 1956. The museum consists of two galleries and an open courtyard as well as two verandahs displaying the antiquities. The museum exhibits bronze and stone sculptures of Buddhist and Brahmanical faith of pala period, scenes related to Buddhist pantheon, Surya, Zodiac signs on railings of Sunga age, etc.
The first gallery exhibits sculptures including standing Yakshi figure having elaborate coiffure, crowned Buddha in Bhumisparsamudra, Maiterya, images of Buddha in different attitude, standing image of Manjusri, terracotta plaque depicting Buddha in Bhumisparshmudra, railing pillar depicting Surya, panel showing Sahasra Buddha, copper antimony rod, miniature pot, etc.
In second gallery are exhibited sculptures associated with Buddhist and Brahmanical faith. Among them mention may be made of panel showing Sapta matrika, Dikpalas, Dasavatara of Lord Vishnu. The courtyard of the museum contains railing pillars, cross bars and coping stones which were shifted from Mahabodhi Temple premises to the museum. In outer verandah of the museum one colossal image of standing Buddha in abhayamudra and the varaha incarnation of Lord Vishnu is on display in the inner verandah.