Olafsdalur by Gilsfjordur is one of the most important historical site in West-Iceland and by Breidafjordur Bay. It´s situated just 6 km from the main road across Gilsfjordur, by the south coast of the fjord. Olafsdalur is the site were the FIRST agricultural school in Iceland was established in 1880 by Torfi Bjarnason (educated in Scotland), and it was run until 1907. The old and beautiful school-house from 1896 is still standing and is open for public in the summertime (exhibitions, guiding etc). Reamains of many other buldings are at the site. A big sculpture of Torfi and his wife Gudlaug is next to the house, made by one of Iceland's most famous sculptor, Rikhardur Jonsson (1888-1977).