Kaposvár is the capital of the county of Somogy in Hungary. It lies 186 km (116 mi) south‐west of Budapest, on both sides of the Kapos River.In 1749 Kaposvár was designated the county seat. During the 1800s the city developed considerably, due to the importance of the railway line between Budapest and Zagreb.
Kaposvár became an important industrial city. In the early 20th century, the city became the center of an artists' colony associated with the rise of the modernist movement in Hungarian art. In 1950 the city annexed the village of Kaposszentjakab; this was followed by annexations in 1973 by Kaposfüred, Toponár and Töröcske.
In 1990 Kaposvár, as a city above 50,000 inhabitants, was elevated to the rank of city with county rights. Since 1993 it has been an episcopal seat of the Roman Catholic Church. The University of Kaposvár was founded on 1 January 2000.
Nowadays Kaposvár is a developing junction for rail- and public roads; it is closely connected to all the settlements of the agglomeration, as well as to those over the knoll. The European railway line from Budapest towards the Mediterranean leads through Kaposvár and other towns of the county.