Professional guidance: Language: Hungarian; Time span: 20; name: church leadership; the place of a claim: preliminary negotiation with the church; the manner of a claim: on a telephone; Price: free
Wheelchair accessible: no
Description: Bishop Széchenyi brought the Franciscans to Sümeg and built a church and cloister for them on the highest point in the town. Plain from the outside, the building had a defensive function during the Turkish occupation of Hungary. Within it there is a Baroque court. Bishop Márton Biró commissioned the pulpit with its statues of Saint Michael the Archangel and the Four Evangelists. The high alter is the work of Ferenc Richter, the Carmelite sculptor. At the centre of the alter, adorned with columns, statues and carvings, is surrounded by statues of the Hungary’s saint kings, at the centre is a Pieta. From the time of its first miraculous cure in 1696, the church has become a centre of pilgrimage.