Western Market is one of the oldest structures in Sheung Wan
, Hong Kong
Island, Hong Kong. The current structure was the North Block of the original Western Market. It is the oldest surviving market building in the city. The former South Block was replaced by the Sheung Wan Complex in 1981. Western Market is located at 323 Des Voeux Road Central.
Western Market came into business in September 1844.
The four-storey building is in Edwardian style that was popular in England
from 1901 to 1918. The brickwork on the four corner towers is "bandaged", giving a polychromatic effect.
Current tenants include
On the first floor there is a wide range of fabric merchants and cafés. The top floor is a restaurant with dancing and live music and a banquet hall used for weddings.On the flyover next to Western Market are a few old pictures with explanations from times long gone.