Tsim Sha Tsui
Ferry Pier is a pier located on reclaimed land at the southernmost tip of Tsim Sha Tsui on Kowloon
Peninsula in Hong Kong
. It is commonly known as Star Ferry
Pier (天星碼頭) in Tsim Sha Tsui. Star Ferry operates the pedestrian ferry service across Victoria Harbour
to Wan Chai
and to Central on Hong Kong Island. The location is identified as "Kowloon Point" in the franchise held by Star Ferry.
Construction of the first pier on the present location started in 1904, after the great land reclamation which extended Salisbury Road
. It was of a "finger design". The pier opened in 1906, but was destroyed by typhoon in September 1906. Its replacement, which was designed to accommodate two ferries, was completed in 1914. In the early 1950s, construction of the present twin-piered terminal commenced on both sides of Victoria Harbour. The structure was completed in 1957, concurrent with the completion of the now demolished Edinburgh Place
Ferry Pier, which was built on the island side. Both piers were examples of Streamline Moderne.
Like the Ferry Pier on Hong Kong Island, the pier consists of a two bi-level piers. The upper level boarding is more expansive than the lower level boarding area. The two structures are supported by wood pilings. Unlike the Hong Kong side, the Tsim Sha Tsui pier itself does not have a Clock Tower
, though one is located nearby.
There are a few retail shops at the Pier, including newsstands, a shop selling Star Ferry merchandise (models of ferries), an HSBC branch, and a Hong Kong Tourism Board information centre.