The Hong Kong Park is a public park next to Cotton Tree Drive in Central, Hong Kong. Built at a cost of HK$398 million and opened in May 1991, it covers an area of 80,000 m² and is an example of modern design and facilities blending with natural landscape.
Part of the site was known as Cantonment Hill in early colonial days in 1841. At the upper part of the former location of the Victoria Barracks, built between 1867 and 1910, the barracks were handed to the government in 1979. Glenealy Junior School occupied part of this site up until 1988. After the school vacated the site, the area was turned into the present park. Hong Kong Park was officially opened on 23 May 1991 by Sir David Wilson, the Governor of Hong Kong at that time. It covers an area of 8 hectares and is an outstanding example of modern design and facilities blending with the natural landscape.
The construction of the park was a joint project by the Urban Council (dissolved in 1999) and the Royal Hong Kong Jockey Club (renamed the Hong Kong Jockey Club in 1996).
Hong Kong Park captures the natural landscape in the busy and crowd business centre and provides a relaxing environment. Its main feature is Edward Youde Aviary which is the Hong Kong's largest aviary while the Vantage Point is another great place to see the "bird exhibition". Moreover, inside the Hong Kong Park, there is a greenhouse(Forsgate Conservatory) which holds "plant exhibition" such as "Orchid Exhibition" temporarily. There are also many modern gardens, including Garden Plaza and Tai Chi Garden. In order to suit the sport-lovers, a sport centre and a squash centre were also built in Hong Kong Park.
- The design of the park won Honour Award for Urban Design (1998) of Hong Kong Chapter, the American Institute of Architects.
- The Park was awarded as one of the Top Ten Buildings of the 90s by a building journal in March, 2000.