The two blocks were built in circa 1910, when Hong Kong was under British rule as a crown colony. They were used for accommodating British troops until 1967 when the military lands were returned to the colonial government for redevelopment for leisure services. They were used by the Hong Kong Museum Of History as its temporary premises from 1983 to 1998 until the new museum complex was built in Tsim Sha Tsui East.
The Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre is under the management of the Antiquities and Monuments Office. It has opened its door to visitors since October 2005 with its thematic exhibition gallery, lecture hall, educational activity room and reference library. It includes a standing exhibition on Hong Kong's architectural heritage.