Flagstaff House is the oldest example of British-style architecture remaining in Hong Kong
. It is located in 10 Cotton Tree Drive, Central - within the Hong Kong Park
.The building was designed in Greek revival style.
It has been a longtime residence of the Commander of the British forces in Hong Kong during colonial times. Today Flagstaff House houses the Museum of Tea Ware. The building is a popular setting for wedding photography.Flagstaff House had been named as Headquarter House until 1932. There is some disagreement as to who designed it, but it was completed in 1846 and initially served as the military headquarters office and residence of the Commander of the British forces in Hong Kong.
Museum of Tea Ware
In 1984, the Flagstaff House was converted into the Flagstaff House Museum of Tea Ware, a branch museum of the Hong Kong Museum Of Art
. The museum specializes in the collection, study and display of teaware, including many samples of the Yixing teapot, from Jiangsu Province of China
, as well as the World
's oldest known extant teapot.
A new wing, the K.S. Lo Gallery, was added in 1995. It is named after a local collector, which made a donation to the city in the 1970s. This donation now constitutes the core of the museum's collection. The new gallery contains a collection of ceramics and Chinese seals.