Cheung Chau is a small island 10kilometers southwest of Hong Kong Island, is nicknamed as the 'dumbbell island' for its shape. It has been inhabited for longer than most other places in the territory of Hong Kong, with a population of about 23,000up to 2006. Administratively, it is part of the Islands District.
- Pak Tai Temple - one of the oldest temples in Hong Kong. The temple was built in 1783. It was demolished and completely rebuilt in 1989. In front of the temple, there are 4 pairs of guarding lions. Before the altar are statues of two generals, Thousand Miles Eye and Favourable Wind Ear, who together are traditionally said to be able to hear and see
- Four temples dedicated to Tin Hau, including the Pak She Tin Hau Temple
- Kwan Kung Chung Yi Ting, a traditional temple built in 1973, dedicated to the god of justice Kwan Tai
- A cave, alleged to be the hiding place of Cheung Po Tsai, a 19th century pirate
- Rock carving located near Tung Wan Beach were reported by geologists in 1970, and are declared monuments of Hong Kong. This 3000-year-old rock carving is located on the east of the island, immediately below The Warwick Hotel. It consists of two groups of similar carved lines surrounding small depressions.
- Tung Wan and Kwun Yam Wan beaches
The annual Cheung Chau Bun Festival
is a festival which includes a parade of floats, most famously including young children dressed as famous characters doing impossible balancing acts. It last seven days and attracts tens of thousands of visitors to the island.