Marienplatz or St. Mary, Our Lady's Square is a central square in the city center of Munich, Germany. It has been the city's main square since 1158.
In the Middle Ages markets and tournaments were held in this city square. Marienplatz was named after the Mariensäule, a Marian column erected in its centre in 1638 to celebrate the end of Swedish occupation. Today the Marienplatz is dominated by the New City Hall (Neues Rathaus) on the north side. The Glockenspiel in the tower of the new city hall was inspired by these tournaments, and draws millions of tourists a year. At the east side Munich's Old City Hall (Altes Rathaus) is located. It's a gothic council hall and ballroom and tower, which have been reconstructed.The pedestrian zone between Karlsplatz and Marienplatz is a crowded area with numerous shops and restaurants.The Marienplatz S-Bahn and U-Bahn station, an important transportation hub, is located below the square.