The Jardin du Luxembourg
, or the Luxembourg Gardens, is the second largest public park in Paris
(224,500 m² (22.5 hectares) located in the 6th arrondissement of Paris, France
. The park is the garden of the French Senate, which is itself housed in the Luxembourg Palace
The garden is largely devoted to a green parterre of gravel and lawn populated with statues and centred on a large octagonal basin of water, with a Central
jet of water; in it children sail model boats.The garden is famed for its calm atmosphere. Surrounding the bassin on the raised balustraded terraces are a series of statues of former French queens, saints and copies after the Antique.
The gardens include a large fenced-in playground for young children and their parents and a vintage carousel. In addition, free musical performances are presented in a gazebo on the grounds and there is a small cafe restaurant nearby, under the trees, with both indoor and outdoor seating from which many people enjoy the music over a glass of wine.
The garden contains just over a hundred statues, monuments, and fountains, scattered throughout the grounds. Surrounding the central green space are about twenty figures of historical French queens and female saints commissioned by Louis-Philippe in 1848, standing on pedestals, including statues of Jeanne III of Navarre, Blanche
of Castile, Anne of Austria
, Louise of Savoy
, and Anne of France.