The Château de Losse and its gardens have been listed as French Historical House and Site since 1928. They are located in Périgord, Dordogne
district, South-West of France
, near the Lascaux pre-historic caves, on the Vézère river. The medieval fortress overlooks the Vézère river. In 1575 a Renaissance Hall was built within the stronghold. It is enclosed by curtain walls and surrounded by a deep ditch. Inside the fine décor and the exceptional period furnishings bear witness to the grand lifestyle of the Marquess of Jean II de Losse in the 16th century. The gardens within the walls or terraced over the river are in perfect harmony and offer a view over an unspoilt virgilian countryside.
The Losse family came from Flanders in the 11th century and subsequently built a stronghold on the Vézère right bank. From that time they belonged to the feudal hierarchy. Later on their allegiance went to the king of France. The Hall was built in 1576 inside the medieval fortress by Jean II Marquess of Losse.