Candes-Saint-Martin is a commune in the Indre-et-Loire department in central France. It overlooks the confluence of the Vienne and Loire rivers from a steep hill on the left bank of the Loire, and marks the boundary between the modern departments of Indre-et-Loire to the east, and Maine-et-Loire to the West. The name Candes is thought to derive from a Gallic word for confluence, and is found in several other similarly sited towns in the region; the termination Saint-Martin was formally added in 1949, although it had been in common usage for many years. Evidence of Gallo-roman occupation was found in 19th century excavations, particularly in the grounds of the Bishop's Palace which crowns the hill.
The village takes its name - and its main claim to fame- from the magnificent church which has succeeded the 4th century monastery where St Martin, Bishop of Tours and 'Apostle to the Gauls', died in 397.