Tapa is a town in Lääne-Viru County, Estonia. Located at the junction of the country's Tallinn-Narva (west-east) and Tallinn-Tartu-Valga (north-south) railway lines, it is an important centre of transit for freight (mainly Russian oil and timber) as well as rail passengers (mostly Estonian commuters). A home to soldiers since the 1930s, Tapa also plays an important role in training young men and women in the Estonian Defense Forces. Tapa was formed in 1917. It was officially recognized as a city in 1926. In October 2005, Tapa merged with the municipalities of Lehtse, Saksi, and Jäneda to form Tapa Parish.
Tapa Museum was opened on June 10, 2004. Harri Allandi is its founder and first curator. The museum, in a 1934, two-storey house, collects and exhibits objects, including photos and documents, related to the history and culture of Tapa. All of the objects in the museum reflect the soul of Tapa's citizens, past and present. Temporary exhibits celebrate notable days in Tapa's history and feature hobbies of the town's residents. The permanent collection presents Tapa as a railway, military, and sausage town.