Bamber Bridge railway station serves the area Bamber Bridge 4 miles (6 km) to the south of Preston city centre on the A6 and M6 roads.
Its railway station, in common with Lostock Hall, was once much larger and used by many more trains than today. Opened in 1846 by the Blackburn & Preston Railway, it became a junction four years later when the B&PR's successor the East Lancashire Railway opened a direct route to Preston that avoided the need to use the North Union Railway between Farington and Preston (and thus pay tolls to the NUR company). The ELR also built a connection to the Liverpool, Ormskirk and Preston Railway west of Lostock Hall that put The Village on the main line from Blackburn to Liverpool.
These newer lines all fell victim to BR economies in the aftermath of the Beeching Axe - the direct line to Preston closing to passengers in April 1972 and Liverpool trains ending on 6 October 1969. The line was resignalled in 1973 and is now controlled by the power box at Preston, although the distinctive signal box still remains to supervise three level crossings.
On the westbound platform, the station building built in 1846 survives but is no longer used as part of the station. The building has been disused recently but is now being converted into a drop-in centre for pensioners.