The New Alexandra Theatre
, commonly known as The Alex, is a theatre on Station Street in Birmingham, England
. Construction of the theatre commenced in 1900 and was completed in 1901. The architects were Owen & Ward. The theatre was opened on 27 May 1901 as the Lyceum Theatre
on John Bright Street; however, it was met with few theatre goers.
It was decided to bring in a star, and for ten weeks from the middle of June 1901 H. A. Saintsbury trod the boards as the theatres leading man, playing in costume dramas. However, as a result of disappointingly low returns the new theatre was sold to Lester Collingwood for The theatre currently seats 1,371 and hosts a busy programme of touring drama, West End shows and stand-up comedy.