Accrington railway station serves the town of Accrington in Lancashire, England. It is a station on the East Lancashire Line 10 km east of Blackburn railway station operated by Northern Rail.
It is also served by Caldervale Line express services between Blackpool North, York and Leeds.
The station was opened in 1848 by the East Lancashire Railway, which amalgamated with the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway in 1859. Taken into the London, Midland and Scottish Railway during the Grouping of 1923, the line then passed on to the London Midland Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948.
The station was formerly a major junction on the ELR, with the line to Bury and Salford diverging southwards from that towards Blackburn & Preston at the western end of the station, just before the impressive viaduct that carries the line over the town centre. This was for many years a busy commuter route carrying regular trains from Skipton and Colne to Manchester Victoria, but it fell victim to the Beeching Axe in the sixties and closed to passengers on 5 December 1966. Few traces of this route remain today, the formation through the town (including part of the notorious 1 in 40 Baxenden Bank) having been built over.