The Pyramid of Khendjer was built for the burial of Pharaoh Khendjer, who ruled Egypt during the 13th Dynasty.
Located between the Pyramid of Pepi II and the pyramid of Senusret III in South Saqqara, it was discovered by Gustave Jequier in 1929. The pyramid currently lies in ruins, due in part to the damaging excavations done by Jequier, with its remains only rising one meter above the desert sand.
The pyramid complex was enclosed by inner and outer walls. The inner wall was made of limestone, and was created to replace an earlier wavy wall. The outer wall was made of mudbrick. The mortuary temple was located on the east side of the complex. It crosses over both the inner and outer walls. This allowed for the outer section of the temple to be placed outside the inner wall, with the inner sanctuary on the inside of the inner wall. Very little remains of the temple, except for bits of reliefs and columns. A chapel is located at the north side of the complex and was built out to the inner wall and against the face of the pyramid.
The Pyramid of Khendjer included a monolithic quartzite burial chamber. The weight of this chamber was estimated at 150 tons by G. Jequier. It has 2 colossal quartzite slabs covering it. This was lowered in a similar manner to the burial chamber of Amenemhet III at Hawara.
It is believed that the pyramid originally had a different substructure plan because of evidence showing that there was an aborted stairway in the southeast corner that was later blocked. The entrance that was decided on was located towards the southern end at the base of the west face. At the north east corner of the pyramid, a satellite pyramid was found, which is thought to have been prepared for the burials of two of Khendjer's queens. Jequier also found shaft tombs nearby, which may have belonged to other family members.