Frederiksborg castle is a castle in Hillerod, Denmark. It was built as a royal residence for King Christian IV, and is now known as The Museum of National History. The current building replaced a previous castle erected by Frederick II, and is the largest Renaissance palace in Scandinavia.
The palace is located on three small islands in the middle of Palace Lake, (Danish, Slotsoen), and is adjoined by a large, baroque formal garden. The oldest parts of the castle date back to 1560, and were built by King Frederick II, after whom the palace is named.
Most of the current palace, however, was built from 1602 to 1620 by Christian IV using Flemish architects, Hans and Lorenz van Steenwinckel, and follows the Dutch style favoured by Christian IV for his new buildings in Copenhagen.