The Sauto Theater opened in 1863 in Matanzas, Cuba, and has since then been a proud symbol of the city. The U-shaped 775-seat theatre is almost entirely covered with wood-panelling. It has three balconies, and its floor can be raised to convert the auditorium into a ballroom. The original theater curtain is a painting of the Puente de la Concordia over the Yumurí River. The lobby is graced by Carrara marble statues of Greek goddesses and the main hall ceiling bears paintings of the muses.
When it opened in 1863, it was named Teatro Esteban, after the Civil Governor in Cuba at the time. But soon it adopted the last name of Ambrosio de la Concepción Sauto, a patron of the arts who contributed much to its construction and splendour. Due to the proximity of Matanzas to Havana, the cultural awareness of its people, and the solvency of its rich landowners, the Sauto Theater was visited regularly by the great performers who apppeared in Havana.