Smokvica is a village on the island of Korčula and a municipality in the Dubrovnik-Neretva County in Croatia. It has a population of 1,210 (census 2001), in which the absolute majority are Croats (98%). Smokvica is located in the centre of the island of Korcula, about 4 kilometers west of Čara, 13 kilometers east of Blato and 4 kilometers north from Brna. It is known as the birthplace of one of the best-known Croatian wines - Pošip. The large Neo-Romanesque church of the Purification of Our Lady was designed by Oton Ivekovic and built in 1920 on the site of an older church which was built in 1666. Beside it is a "loggia," a baroque building surrounded by columns on all sides.
Smokvica has several fertile fields that are named Krusevo, Prapratna, Stiniva, Banja, Sitnica, Livin Dol and Cipojino polje. The seaside village of Brna is part of the municipality of Smokvica. Over 70% of the area of the municipality is forested land. About 250 hectares (625 acres) are devoted to vineyards with about two million grape vines. Another 144 hectares (360 acres) are olive orchards with 176,000 olive trees.