Skradin (Latin: Scardona) is a small town in the Šibenik-Knin county of Croatia it has a population about 3,986 (2001 census). It is located near the Krka river and at the entrance to the Krka National Park, 17 km (11 mi) from Šibenik and 100 km (62 mi) from Split. The main attraction of the Park, Slapovi Krke, is a series of waterfalls, the biggest of which Skradinski buk was named after Skradin.
It was an Illyrian settlement (Scardona) on the boundary between the Delmati and the Liburnian tribes. It was the capital of the Liburnians. It was better known as a Roman town, as the administrative and military centre of the region. During the migration of the nations it was destroyed, but in the 9th century Croatians moved here. It has had its present name since the 10th century.
It was one of the seats of the Bribir Šubič family. Between 1522 and 1684 it was ruled by the Ottoman Turks, then again up to 1794 by Republic of Venice. Later, it was occupied by Napoleon as part of the French Empire, then Austria-Hungary. In time it lost its importance as the centre of the region, which shifted to Šibenik, and so it stagnated (the bishopric was abandoned in 1828).