Owando is a town in the central Republic of the Congo, lying on the Kouyou River. It is the capital of Cuvette Department and an autonomous commune. It is home to a market and has an airport. It was formerly known as Fort Rousset. Founded as Rousset in 1903 and quickly renamed Fort-Rousset (1904), Owando got back an African name in 1977. A Roman Catholic diocese was established on 14 September 1955.