These photos from Yuyuan Garden have the most votes. Upload your own photo of Yuyuan Garden!
Going to Yuyuan Garden? Get answers from our friendly locals
Huangpu District, Shanghai, China
Yu Garden or Yuyuan Garden (Chinese: t 豫園, s 豫园, p Yù Yuán, lit. Garden of Happiness) is an extensive Chinese garden located beside the City God Temple in the northeast of the Old City of Shanghai, China. It abuts the Yuyuan Tourist Mart and is accessible from the Shanghai Metro's Line 10 Yuyuan Garden Station. A centerpiece is the Currow ancient stone (玉玲珑, Yù Línglóng), a porous 3.3-m, 5-ton boulder. Rumours about its origin include the story that it was meant for the imperial palace in Beijing, but was salvaged after the boat sank off Shanghai.
Yu Garden was first conceived in 1559 during the Ming Dynasty by Pan Yunduan as a comfort for his father, the minister Pan En, in his old age. Pan Yunduan began the project after failing one of the imperial exams, but his appointment as governor of Sichuan postponed construction for nearly twenty years until 1577. The garden was the largest and most prestigious of its era in Shanghai, but eventually its expense helped ruin the Pans.
Today, Yu Garden occupies an area of 2 hectares (5 acres), and is divided into six general areas laid out in the Suzhou style:
Sansui Hall (三穗堂, Sān Suì Táng, lit. "Three Tassel Hall") – includes the Grand Rockery (大假山, Dà Jiǎshān ), a 12-meter-high rockery made of Huangshi stone, featuring peaks, cliffs, winding caves, and gorges. This scenery was possibly created by Zhang Nanyang during the Ming Dynasty.
Wanhua Chamber (万花楼, Wàn Huā Lóu, lit. "Chamber of the Ten Thousand Flowers")