The Shigatse Dzong, also known as Samdruptse Dzong, is located in Xigazê County in the Xigazê Prefecture in Tibet, China. It is spelt Rikaze Dzong .
Shigatse Dzong was originally built by Karma Phunstok Namgyal (1611–1621), the second in the line of the Nyak family who ruled Tibet from 1565–1642, after which the capital was moved to Lhasa. Shigtse Dzong’s historic importance was accentuated by the fact that the Mongol ruler Gusri Khan installed the Fifth Dalai Lama as the supreme ruler of Tibet, which then covered territory from Tachienlu in the east up to the Ladakh border in the west in the 17th century. In later years, the fort became the residence of the governor of Tsang. The modern city of Shigatse has developed around the base of the Dzong.
The Dzong was destroyed completely in the 1961 Cultural Revolution, but was rebuilt in 2007 at the same location, though on a smaller scale.The large Tashilhunpo Monastery, founded in 1447 by Gendun Drup, the First Dalai Lama, is close to the base of the fort in Shigatse.