Stony Plain is a large town in rural Alberta, Canada, just west of Edmonton. Stony Plain is a rapidly growing town with strong historical roots. It is located west of Spruce Grove and surrounded by Parkland County. The town is governed by one mayor and six councillors. The region is dominated by agricultural and other resource-based industry.
The proximity of Stony Plain to Edmonton makes it attractive for commuters—servicing a surrounding population of over 60,000 people. Around the town, there are many colourful murals that depict important figures and events of local history. These murals have earned it the nickname "The Town with the Painted Past." The town was originally known as Dog Rump Creek.
The name of the town is known to come from two possible origins. The first is that the Stoney people camped in the area historically. The seconded possibility is Dr. James Hector, a geologist on the Palliser Expedition noticed boulders scattered across the area. The official name for the settlement was adopted in 1892.