Sherwood Park is a large hamlet in Alberta, Canada within Strathcona County that is recognized as an urban service area. It is located adjacent to the City of Edmonton's eastern boundary, generally south of Highway 16 (Yellowhead Trail), west of Highway 21 and north of Highway 630 (Wye Road). Smaller portions of Sherwood Park extend beyond Yellowhead Trail and Wye Road, while Highway 216 (Anthony Henday Drive) separates Refinery Row to the west from the balance of the hamlet to the east.
The Cree and Saulteaux Nations are the First Nations peoples who lived in this territory for centuries. The first Europeans did not arrive in the region until in the late 18th century. Buffalo was abundant in the region, and an important source of food and clothing for the local First Nations. Though the local First Nations had maintained sustainable buffalo hunts in the area for generations, the newcomers slaughtered and nearly decimated the buffalo herds which dramatically disrupted the Natives' way of life. Some local First Nations in the area began trading at nearby Fort Edmonton. The majority of Nations signed Treaty 6 on August 21, 1877, which relegated them to small reserves far from the growing settler communities.