Scotia Plaza is a Postmodern commercial office complex in the city of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The complex is situated in the financial district of the downtown core, and is generally bordered by Yonge Street on the east, King Street West on the south, Bay Street on the west, and Adelaide Street West on the north. Scotia Plaza is connected to the PATH network, and contains 190,000 m2 (2,045,143 sq ft) of office space and 40 retail stores. The complex continues to serve as the head office of Scotiabank.
Essential to this construction project was maintaining the Bank of Nova Scotia's head office and Toronto Main banking Branch functions with minimal disruption throughout the eight year construction work. The Bank's project and construction managers were Goldie-Burgess Ltd., followed by W. Tamm Consulting Limited.
The historic Bank of Nova Scotia head office building at 44 King Street West, which was designed by architects Mathers and Haldenby (with Beck and Eadie), and built from 1946 to 1951. This 115 m (377 ft) tall, 27 storey building was designated under the Ontario Heritage Act by the City of Toronto in 1975. It was completely renovated with major, historically sensitive architectural design changes including a 14 storey high glass atrium connecting the original building to the new, 68 storey structure.