is a Canadian Forces base located in Edmonton, Alberta
. It is also known as Edmonton Garrison or "Steele Barracks".The history of CFB Edmonton begins at an old airfield called Blatchford Field (named after a former mayor of Edmonton, Kenny Blatchford), a few kilometres south from where CFB Edmonton would eventually be established. The airfield began operating after the First World
War and became important to the opening up and development of the Canadian north.
During the Second World War Blatchford Field became a Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) training station under the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan. No. 16 Elementary Flying Training School (No. 16 EFTS) and No. 2 Air Observers School (No. 2 AOS) used the aerodrome. The RCAF also ran No. 4 Initial Training School (No. 4 ITS) which was a ground school located at the University of Alberta
. No. 16 EFTS closed in 1942 and No. 2 AOS closed in 1944. After No. 2 AOS closed, the station formally became known as RCAF Station Edmonton. Many RCAF squadrons and units were located here, including a survival school and the RCAF Winter Experimental Establishment (WEE). A United States
Army Air Forces (USAAF) B-29 bomber detachment also used the station.