The Rio Grande do Sul Museum of Art is an art museum in the State of Rio Grande do Sul. It is located in the centre of Porto Alegre. Its eclectic building, national heritage, is one of the most noteworthy historic buildings in Porto Alegre. Its design is usually attributed to Theodor Wiederspahn, a German-brazilian architect, although important local historian and artist Fernando Corona ascribes it to Germano Gundlach.
The museum was formally created by the state government through Decree 5065, in 1954, without any seat or collection. Soon afterwards the state Secretary of Culture, José Mariano de Freitas Beck, invited Ado Malagoli, a renowned painter born in São Paulo who had just arrived in Porto Alegre in order to teach at the Institute of Fine Arts, to lead the organization and stablishment of the museum.