Matthew Town is the chief and only settlement on Great Inagua Island of the Bahamas. It is located on the southwest corner of the island. It was named after Bahamian Governor George Matthew (1844-1849) and first settled during his tenure in office. It has several buildings dating to the 19th century including the 1870 Great Inagua Lighthouse. Almost the entire population of Inagua resides in Matthew Town (approx. 1000 people), and many of them are employed by the Morton Salt Company.