The history of European settlement in Lismore is comparatively new as they first came here two hundred years ago. Lismore is situated on one of the branches of Richmond River that has been named as the Wilsons River. The aboriginal name of the region was Tuckerimbah that meant a junction of two creeks. The first St. Andrew’s Church was built in 1871 where the present church stands. As the area had an abundance of cedar, it was initially made in timber. It is now a heritage building that contains stained glass windows and intricately carved wooden furniture from the era gone by.
The church features a historic bell tower with full peal of 8 bells that is rung in its full traditional style on special occasions like weddings and weekly Sunday worship. Lismore has a military unit of volunteers for the last 100 years and the flags presented to this unit have been preserved in the church which is also classified as a Garrison Church.