It was originally built in 1911 and known as the Watts Road Bridge, being renamed to Riverton Bridge in 1916. By the 1930s the bridge had fallen into disrepair. In 1954 it was replaced with the current structure, slightly upstream of the original. Part of the original bridge was kept as a swimming jetty, but was demolished in 1980 for safety reasons.
Until the 1970s the bridge formed part of the major east-west road system south of the Canning River and was part of the then High Road between Fremantle and Cannington. In 1978, High Road was upgraded and realigned to become Leach Highway and as part of that project, the concrete 4-lane Shelley Bridge was built a few hundred metres downstream. Since then, Riverton Bridge has been used for mainly local traffic.