The Queen Victoria Building, more popularly known as the QVB, was built in 1898. It was designed by George McRae and replaced the existing Sydney markets on the site. It was built as a monument dedicated to the long reigning monarch. One of the reasons for building this structure was to provide employment and livelihood to the numerous out-of-work craftsmen. The building occupies a complete block on the George Street and includes more than 180 shops including the fashion boutiques, jewelers and items of domestic use. The place also has some of the delightful cafes and restaurants.
The major highlight of this historical building is the center dome that consists of an inner glass dome and a copper-sheathed dome on the exterior part. There are beautiful stained glass windows throughout the entire building as well as an original 19th century staircase that is located alongside the dome.