The Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA) in Sydney, Australia is an Australian Museum solely dedicated to exhibiting, interpreting and collecting contemporary art, both from across Australia and around the World. It is housed in the Art Deco-style former Maritime Services Board Building on the western edge of Circular Quay.
The establishment of the MCA was manadated in the will of Australian expatriate artist John Power (1881-1943), who bequeathed his personal fortune to the University of Sydney with the express purpose of informing and educating Australians in the contemporary visual arts.
With the relocation of the Maritime Services Board (MSB) to larger premises in 1989, the former MSB Building was donated by the NSW State Government to the Museum of Contemporary Art. Funded by the University of Sydney and the Power Bequest, restoration and refurbishment of the building commenced in 1990 under the direction of Andrew Anderson of Peddle Thorpe/John Holland Interiors and in November 1991 the Museum of Contemporary Art officially opened.